Thursday, August 23, 2012

Distinctive Voice, Powerful Story

I'm a slow reader, but I love books. Therefore, I have shelves and shelves of unread books, all the best intentions, and an ever-growing list of "to-read" while my "read" (past-tense) list grows slowly but steadily.

I also have about an hour in the car each day. And not a lot of disposable income. So, I went to my trusted local library and checked out an audiobook by Joshilyn Jackson, whose blog I find hilarious. I own Between, Georgia, and it's squarely on my "to-read" list.

A Grown-up Kind of Pretty is Jackson's most recent novel, and I'm so glad it was my introduction to her. Not only was the narration amazing--read by the author--but the story, characters, and message all spoke to me. I couldn't wait to get into the car for my commute, sometimes wishing for a traffic jam!

This is a story of mothers and daughters, of what it means to call someone "mine" and what it means to be claimed by someone in love. (I mean that in the best sense of the word, claimed. To be welcomed and accepted and fought for by someone.)

It is a story of loss, redemption, growing up, and being accepted for who you are. It is a story of grace for those who are different and for those who have made mistakes.

I didn't want the story to end. I can't recommend it highly enough.

No comments:

Post a Comment