Friday, January 24, 2014

Introducing, the Slop Dog

Sometimes, memories live in tastes.

A couple years ago, I asked for family members to share with me some of their "iconic" recipes (shoutout to my sister for gathering them all for a very thoughtful Christmas present!). In my paternal grandma's batch was something called "Ham and Cheese Rolls." This did not ring a bell for me, and I found it odd she'd included it with her lemon squares and lasagna.

This past Christmas, I connected the dots.

At one family gathering, my mom was concocting what appeared to be the weirdest amalgamation of ingredients into one huge bowl. I saw chopped ham, mayo, chili sauce, cubed cheese, and hard boiled eggs. It was all mixed together and then put into hot dog buns, wrapped in foil, and baked.

I was like, where did these come from?

My mom said, "Grandma used to make them all the time. She called them ham and cheese rolls, but your dad always called them slop dogs."

The latter seemed very apt. Looking at the now-melted mush of ingredients, I can see why my 6-year-old self didn't go crazy over these things. I mean, hard boiled egg??

I took a bite. And there it was. I knew this taste, vaguely, but there it was. My older sister said my grandma used to make them on New Year's Eve, and I remember them now, their smell and texture. I have a feeling I only tasted them once or twice as a kid, but it's not a taste you forget.

It is unique. It is odd. It is good. Over the course of my time at my mom's for Christmas, I polished off many a slop dog. Try them for your next picnic.

Ingredients

1/2 pound cubed ham
1/2 pound cubed sharp cheese
1/3 cup sliced green onion
2 hard cooked eggs
1/2 cup sliced stuffed olives (we may have skipped these)
3 Tbs mayonnaise
1/2 cup chili sauce

Directions

Combine all ingredients. Pile mixture into split hot dog rolls.

Wrap in foil - Twist ends securely.

Place on grill over medium coals, turning frequently. OR Bake in hot oven 20-30 minutes, 350 degrees.

-----

Inspired by the prompt, "Share a recipe that everyone in your family loves" in Mama Kat's Writer's Workshop.

Mama’s Losin’ It

No comments:

Post a Comment