Sunday, May 12, 2013

On This Mother's Day

I can't believe this is my third Mother's Day already. This week, so much has been made of mothers getting what they "really want" today--which, according to so many in the media, is time away from their families.

Maybe it's different if you have more than one kid or maybe it's different if your kids are older; but I don't feel this way. I understand that everyone needs down time, "me" time--but, to me, today is the day you get the gift card and the promise of a spa day.

What I want today is to spend time with my Munchkin, and to think about the reasons why I love being his mom--how he plays with my hair when he's tired or insecure. How he grabs my neck and hugs me tight sometimes. How he screams "MOMMY!" from the top of the stairs when I'm down in the kitchen. How he holds out his boo-boos to be kissed better.

How being his mother is making me a stronger and more confident person. With all the labels in my life, this is the one I'm most proud of.

Here is my journal entry from my first Mother's Day, when Munch was only about 6 weeks old, before I started this blog:

May 8, 2011

Today is my first Mother's Day--so weird to be on the receiving end this holiday! Hubs has done a wonderful job making it special. We have stayed conscious of Points, but also treated ourselves. For "brunch," we had healthy omelets from IHOP and bagels from Panera. We watched some CSI and then headed to the Rio (for the third time this weekend!) The sun was hot for the first part and then it got a bit overcast and breezy. We were in B&N a bit and then got Potbelly (first time since pregnancy!) and came home for more CSI--and presents! Hubs (and Munch!) did awesome. They gave me the Liam Neeson movie Taken, the new WW cookbook (can't wait to pick out recipes for the week!), an adorable Precious Moment of a mother rocking--that's Munch!--an infant, and from Blue Nile, a locket that says "Mom" with pictures of the boy inside and aquamarine earrings with little diamonds. I couldn't have asked for more!
--

Happy Mother's Day to all the moms out there.

No comments:

Post a Comment